Look out for the classic call of kem cho when in the Textile City!
Ahmedabad, Gujarat’s major city, wins you over with its incredible architecture ranging from centuries-old mosques and
mausoleums to cutting-edge contemporary design. The old quarter, with its narrow streets hide excitement around every corner.
Throw in some excellent museums, fine restaurants and a bustling street-food scene and you end up with a city that rightly
deserves its place as India’s first Unesco Urban World Heritage Site.
– Head to Agashiye for an unparalleled rendezvous with Gujarat’s cuisine. An essentially thali restaurant, it has some clear favourites including rasawala bateka, bharela ravaiya, Gujarati kadhi, shaak nu athaanu, and methi wala bateka. It leaves food lovers from all over and locals alike craving for more!
– The famous Heritage Walk in Ahmedabad starts from Kalupur Swaminarayan Temple. Taking you to Old Ahmedabad which has ancient houses, architectural wonders and delectable cuisine, covering around 20 attractions over a period of three hours. If you’re hungry, make sure to dig into savoury fafda jalebis!
– An ode to Gujarat’s prosperous days, Sidi Saiyyed Mosque is where you will find a lot of old-school locals reminiscing about bygone eras. A beautiful piece of architecture essential to every Ahmedabad trip. Try spotting one of the intricately done windows here which inspired the logo for IIM Ahmedabad.
– Fancy having tea with the dead? Then you have to visit the New Lucky Restaurant! The highlight is the fact that there are tombs scattered all around the tables. The restaurant owner believes that the tombs belong to Sufi saints, and are a lucky charm for his business. It indeed is drop-dead gorgeous!
– Mostly shaky structures are a cause of concern but not in Ahmedabad! Visit the Sidi Bashir Mosque. While being a place of worship, it is also home to the Shaking Minarets or Jhulta Minar as the locals call it. Once there, try to give a nudge to one of the two minarets to find the other one sway as well.
Plan your bespoke holiday with us.